Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tantrums and how to respond

An amazing article I just read: http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/lauren_lindsey_porter2.html
If you have kids, please take the time to read it through.

I have been having a bit of a rough time with Nyla lately. She has starting throwing what seems like hourly tantrums. I mean every little thing that doesn't go her way, she needs to throw herself on the ground, turn red, and scream at the top of her lungs.

I used to be pretty good at remaining calm throughout them, but lately have found myself loosing it more and more easily. I mean, I'm not being abusive by any means, I just havn't been handling stuff the way I would like to. I end up either walking away and leaving her to finish it out on her own(while sometimes having my own mini tantrum in another room, lol), or yelling her name out in frustration. In the end, what I'm doing is making things worse, and I always feel really bad, and end up apologizing to her afterwards. This isn't good enough for me. She deserves more respect than that. I don't want to be on that constant loop, of oh well, if I screw up, I'll just apologize later.

That article really resonated with me, and I'm going to try to be more like the Mom I want to be.

2 comments:

  1. When reading this I feel like I'm having a conversation with my friend Tiff who just had two girls back to back. Hang tough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, it's certainly easier some days than others.

    ReplyDelete