Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2009

What are you knitting? A diaper cover. A What??

Not many people that I know in real life are familiar with cloth diapering these days, so I'm going to enlighten you as to how I do it.

There's a few reason's why I chose to cloth diaper. The main reason is I really don't like the chemicals used in disposables to be against Nyla's skin. Sodium polyacrylate(the stuff that is in disposables which absorbs wetness) is the same substance that was removed from tampons in 1985 because of its link to toxic shock syndrome. No studies have been done on the long-term effects of this chemical being in contact with a baby's reproductive organs 24 hours a day for upwards of two years. Disposables give the illusion of baby being dryer for longer, but meanwhile the baby is still sitting in its own waste(plus chemicals) for hours on end. For more chemicals that are in disposables and to learn more, check out this site.

Another reason is the environment. Disposable diapers make up the third largest source of waste in landfills. A baby will typically use around 8000 diapers in their time, which all take approximately 500 years to decompose. That doesn't sit well with me.

And obviously cost is another factor. I've checked out the price of disposables, and whew they are expensive! These are the diapers I bought, and the site I bought them from. I bought 3 dozen premium sized prefolds. So I spent around $130. Then I had to buy covers(small, med, and Nyla is now in Large). I've also bought a wetbag, for bringing home the dirty diapers while out(it's really not that bad once you get used to it), a diaper pail for home(and a liner, so I don't ever have to touch the dirty diapers), a few snappi's, a dozen hemp doublers(for extra absorbancy at night), and I've made a few of my own wool diaper covers. I think in total I've spent no more than $250-300.

So all that aside, look how cute cloth diapers are!!

This is Nyla wearing a wool knit diaper cover.


Wool is great to use at night, as its breathable, so the baby won't get so many rashes as they would with plastic/vinyl covers. I knit this one myself. Wool is meant to be used without extra clothing on top, so I only use these at night.


This is what's under the cover. Its called a prefold. The pink thing is a snappi. It's used in place of pins, and it just has little teeth grippers on each side to hold the diaper on.



When we're just lounging around at home, Nyla frequently just has on a prefold. It lets me know when she's peed, so I can change her right away, and she's not sitting there in her own waste.







This is basically what you need to cloth diaper(I have more that's not in the picture). There's my wetbag, a stack of prefolds, a cover, some washcloths that I use as wipes, and a doubler.


I know alot of people are afraid of the extra work that comes with cloth, but it's really not that bad. Take it from me, I hate cleaning, and chores and all that stuff. Nyla only poops once a day typically. The poop gets shook off, or dunked into the toilet, and then into the pail the diaper goes. Pee just goes straight into the pail. Before the baby starts solids, breastmilk poo, and all can just be thrown in the pail, as it will dissolve and wash away no problem. Covers are reused until stinky or if they get poo on them, in which case they go into the pail with everthing else. About every 3 days a load of diapers gets dumped in the washing machine. Rinse on cold, wash on hot with 1/2 a capful of detergent(one that doesn't have additives or enzymes or whiteners), I use Purex hypoallergenic, and then I do an extra rinse on cold with some vinegar(helps to remove any detergent residue left on the diapers). In the winter I dry them in the dryer, but in the summer I hang them on the clothes line, and the sun gets all the stains out.

Now, I took a modest approach to cloth diaper, and chose cheaper rather than more convenient. But if want to try cloth, but have the ease of a disposable you could always try these. There's a ton of options out there. Ask me if you want to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment